The CORE initiative focuses on making supply chains more secure and resilient to threats such as natural disasters or other major disruptive events. CORE is a collaborative project involving more than 70 organisations in Europe and the USA, including technology providers and innovators and supply chain & logistics industry partners. MJC²'s supply chain optimization tools are being used as new techniques and systems for protecting the supply chain risks and increasing resilience.
Resilient Supply Chain Optimization
Ever-increasing pressure on cost and service level has driven supply chains to be very tightly-connected, with large volumes of freight going through major strategic hubs. CORE focuses on software tools that allow supply chain operators and shippers to manage and analyse the risk in their supply chain and to develop contingency plans for respond to major disruptions.
The CORE management team has prepared this presentation (please click on the image to the right to view) to give a summary of the range of activities and technologies involved. Apart from the supply chain optimization systems provided by MJC² CORE is developing many other innovative supply chain resilience and security technologies - please see the CORE website.
CORE delivers benefits to the all stakeholders in the global supply chain, both for normal operations and in response to major supply chain disruptions:
- Reduced costs: better utilisation of fleets and resources by reducing wasted repositioning movements or empty running for vehicles.
- Reduced CO2 and other noxious gases emissions by making sure that the greenest (and cheapest) mode of transport is used while still achieving required customer service.
- Reduced queueing and less congestion on roads by smoothing arrival profiles at hubs and depots (thus increasing network throughput while lowering costs).
- Reduced buffer stocks along the supply chain network points, thus lowering inventory costs and making the supply chain more agile.
- Reduced response times to major disruptive events such as emergencies and natural disasters by providing powerful optimization tools that can re-optimize in seconds.